As an outsider, it’s easy to be fooled into believing that the leafy streets of Pymble haven’t changed in years.
The spacious heritage homes and gardens that this premium suburb has become renowned for still dominate many streetscapes. However, beneath the surface, change is afoot in Pymble. We explore what’s happening and why.
Keeping up with the changing way we live
Despite its traditional appearance, Pymble offers a wide range of real estate these days: from prestige grand federation estates to a growing number of modern lock-up-and-leave units popular with downsizers, investors and first home buyers.
In recent years, we’ve also watched a wave of knockdown rebuilds and major renovations unfold – some of which have turned modest homes built between the 1930s and 1970s into large family homes.
This building boom has injected new life into the Pymble and means many buyers are beginning to stay here through all life’s phases. So, rather than selling and upgrading, many owners are choosing to stay put in the location they already know and love.
New businesses, new life
As Sydney becomes more cosmopolitan, so too does Pymble. There have been several new businesses opening recently, bringing a fresh feel to the local shopping strip.
One local favourite is Comme Chez Nous, a new and authentic French cafe with amazing pastries that quickly achieved a five-star rating on Tripadvisor. It joins many established and popular eateries and cafes, such as boutique coffee roastery Sibonis.
Remarkable Outdoor Living has also opened, selling everything to make your outdoor entertaining area come to life. It adds to many other homewares and interiors shops, such as the ever-popular Piper and Ross.
A property market on the move
While growth across the Sydney property market has been flatter the past 12-18 months, Pymble prices are holding firm, in line with other blue-chip suburbs on the upper north shore.
According to realestate.com.au, in 2013 the median house price was $1,495,000 and units sat at $650,000.
In the five years to 2018, the suburb saw tremendous capital growth with houses rising to a median sale price of $2,350,000 and units $880,000. In other words, Pymble is more popular than ever.
Five reasons buyers love Pymble
We have every reason to believe Pymble will continue to perform strongly, given its quality properties, strong appeal to families and convenience. Here are what we see as the top five factors that will continue to underpin property in the suburb:
1. Excellent schools. Quality education facilities always mean a suburb will be in demand. Pymble has access to some of the very best schools Sydney can offer – from high achieving local primary schools to independent schools including PLC Pymble, with others such as Ravenswood, Knox Grammar, Abbotsleigh and Barker College right nearby.
2. Large blocks of land and leafy streets. It’s hard to beat the street appeal of Pymble’s gardens. Buyers will always be drawn to large and attractive blocks of land with easy access to the city.
3. Great transport. Pymble station is at the heart of the suburb, with several connected bus routes including one to nearby Macquarie Centre. This means it’s perfect for commuting, as well as for accessing many entertainment options.
4. Quality family homes. Pymble’s housing stock is second to none. The suburb is family friendly and so are its houses, with 61% of Pymbles houses having four or more bedrooms according to the 2016 Census.
5. Great local services and amenities. When it comes to leisure and lifestyle, you now rarely have to travel far. From the local shopping strips in Pymble or West Pymble, to the bigger hubs at nearby Gordon or St Ives, almost all you need is on your doorstep.
Pymble by the numbers:
Houses: 2,783 (80.4%)
Terraces/townhouses: 75 (2.2%)
Units: 588 (17%)
Median house price: $2.25 million
Median unit price: $810,000
Median house rent: $1055 per week
Median unit rent: $600 per week
*sales prices current as of 28 May 2019 and rents current as of 4 June 2019 from https://www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/pymble-2073-nsw:
Recent listings in Pymble:
If you’re interested in buying or selling in Pymble contact our team today.